Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Begin by wondering or looking for the 'I',

Begin by wondering or looking for the 'I',
where it goes every night when you go to sleep.


Where do 'I' go?
And from where does it arise?
When you first awaken in that instant, there is no 'I'.
But as you keep waking up all of your problems, all of your troubles,
all of your worldly things, become aware to you.


The 'I' is awake.
I feel this, I feel that, I feel everything.
Where was the 'I' prior to that?
Where did it go before I woke up?
And as you are falling asleep, the same thing.
As you know before you fall asleep, the 'I' leaves you.
Where did it go?
And you're sound asleep without the 'I'.


As you think about these things, as you ponder on the 'I',
this is pure meditation.


This is the highest meditation, following the 'I' to its source.

Who needs these worldly things?

Who feels hurt when they are gone?
And who feels happy when they have them?
Watch your attachments.
Become aware of what you really are.
See what bothers you the most, what annoys you,
what makes you angry, what makes you upset.
Watch yourself.
And always realize, and I'll reiterate this over and over again,
and I'll tell you about this all the time, always be aware that
what is happening to the 'I' is not you.


You are not the 'I'.
You are consciousness.
You are sat-chit-ananda.
You are absolute reality, pure awareness.


That is your real nature and that's who you are.
You are not the 'I'.
And the way you find out your real nature is
by following the personal-'I' to its source.


Finding the source from where the 'I' arises,
and finding the source where the 'I' sets.
As you practice these things you're practicing pure meditation,
and you will be free.


~Robert Adams - T. 42 The Fourth State of Consciousness -
February 7, 1991

No comments: